- The web archiving project has started at the beginning of 2017 in the National Széchényi Library,
the test period lasted until 2019.
- The aim is to preserve and make searchable documents and information sources produced and distributed in digital form.
- The primary scope of collection is scientific, cultural, educational, and public sphere web content.
- Types of archiving:
– periodic harvests of selected Hungarian websites (by theme, genre, institution);
– events related harvests (news portal sections, relevant websites and blogs);
– snapshots of the Hungarian web space (servers under the .hu domain and other Hungarian related content).
- The web archive uses open source, free software.
- Only a small part of the collection is public, for legal reasons.
- Statistics at the end of 2021:
15 thematic sub-collections (e.g. literature, art, culture, religion, higher education, research, government, public collections)
5 sub-collection by genre (e-periodicals, news portals, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
13 event-based sub-collections (eg elections, sport events, pandemic)
approx. 51,000 selected websites saved quarterly with frontpage screenshots
approx. 446,000 semi-automatically collected sites saved semiannually with frontpage screenshots
approx. 56 terabytes total size
307 selected and licensed or not subject to licensing sites saved quarterly
99 NSZL websites saved 1-2 times
1 event-based sub-collection (Rákóczi Memorial Year)
approx. 6 terabytes total size